The Aim of the course is to offer an excellent grounding in the essentials of health and safety.
This qualification meets the academic requirements for Technician membership (Tech IOSH) of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and Associate membership (AIIRSM) of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
The objectives of this course are:
- To meet requirements of NEBOSH National General Certificate in occupational Health and Safety
- To develop and enhance skills, knowledge and ability needed for those who work within occupational health services
Who do we recommend attends the course?
The NEBOSH Certificate is the first step for those looking for a career in Health and Safety and it can be built upon with other NEBOSH qualifications. It is ideal for people who need a comprehensive knowledge of Health and Safety and is suitable for managers, supervisors and staff with some level of health and safety responsibility. This qualification is the most requested health and safety qualification by potential employers in the UK. NEBOSH National General Certificate is a key part of your supervisors’ or management development programme. by ensuring that line managers have a sound understanding of the principles of risk management they build an effective safety culture in the company.
There are no specific barriers, in terms of academic qualifications, skills or experience to entry to the NEBOSH National General Certificate programme. However, it should be noted that currently the assessments are offered, and must be answered, in English only.
- The qualification is divided into three units, each of which is assessed separately:
- Management of Health and Safety (NGC1)
- Foundations in Health and Safety
- Health and Safety management system’s (PLAN)
- Health and Safety management system’s (DO)
- Health and Safety management system’s (CHECK)
- Health and Safety management system’s (ACT)
- Controlling workplace hazards (GC2)
- Work Place hazards and Risk Control
- Transport hazards and Risk Control
- Musculoskeletal Hazards and Risk Control
- Work Equipment hazards and Risk Control
- Electrical Safety
- Fire Safety
- Chemical and biological Health Hazards and Risk Control
- Physical and Psychological Health Hazards and Risk control
- Health and safety practical application (GC3)
- To carry out, unaided, a safety inspection of a workplace, identifying the more common hazards, deciding whether they are adequately controlled and, where necessary, suggesting appropriate and cost effective control measures
- To prepare a report that persuasively urges management to take appropriate action, explaining why such action is needed (including reference to possible breaches of legislation) and identifying, with due consideration of reasonable practicability, the control measures that should be implemented.
This will require candidates to apply the knowledge and understanding gained from their studies of elements of Units NGC1 and GC2 in a practical environment and to carry out an evaluation of information gathered during the inspection. The practical application may be submitted in the candidate’s own handwriting or be word processed
Course duration – Two weeks split over 1-2 months plus 1 day for exams.
Certification – NEBOSH General certificate